Sunday, March 05, 2006

Not In the Stars


You’re a modern day Romeo
with baggy jeans, a leather cap-
part of the hip-hop scene.
I’m a 21st century Juliet-
long, black hair and tight blue jeans,
living life with the shades down.
Then you stepped onto the floor.
Your eyes reached for me
and I felt their soft caress
I don’t know what you saw in me;
all you said is,
“No one is like you.”
Don't know how it happened,
but I fell in love.
You fought it, but you fell too.
I tried to keep my feelings to myself,
but you broke me down-
and our love affair began...
You pulled me into your circle
with a gentle brush of your hand,
but then you wanted more.
There I stood in the battlefield
of my weary heart-
sword in hand, shield in the other
and I lost.
Remember the first kiss;
your grandma’s basement;
the apple slices that dripped juice down my chin...
the late-night rendezvous in candlelight,
when you were stoned,
and I was drunk on you?
Should have never been together,
but couldn’t stand to be apart-
for what was wrong, was everything
that’s right.
Five o’clock in the morning
when night turned unto day,
you walked away with my love
and left the scent of you behind.
It’s burned into my senses.
The feel of your body
deeply etched into my fingertips.
I watched you walk out that door,
a bounce in your step,
a crooked smile on your sultry lips...
As the tears of melancholy
whispered of our star-crossed tale,
I smiled, and softly said good-bye.

Published in the 2004 Moontowncafe calendar.
Please visit www.moontowncafe.com to read more of me and many other talented writers.

No comments: