Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Rearview Mirror

I’m lying in my bed
nothing but silence
I wish so hard to hear
those footsteps on the floor

The door stays closed
as tears caress my pillow
and thoughts of you fall hard
upon the ground

I wonder how you are
and if you’re happy
and if you hold the love
you thought you found

I finally slept amidst
the fits of crying
and woke to see the sun
light up the sky

I thought that I could let you go
while dreaming
but in my dreams you held on
to my hands

In prayers I had promised that
I’d always be your friend
until the end
Is this the end?

Got in my car to start the day
and checked the rearview mirror
and there I saw a fingerprint
upon the frosted glass

I told myself, another gift
because it wasn’t mine….
Just another bit of “you”
you left behind



©Mary Molina

No comments: