Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Spoken Funk...cross post from myspace

Spoken Funk 11/26/06-with continuation
Current mood: chipper

What an ADVENTURE!! Trying to get to Miyagi's last night was insane. The Hollywood xmas parade threw the traffic on Sunset into a tizzy!! Timmi and I were worried that we'd be super late, so I called Juren and she was stuck in the same traffic! Geez. It was nuts. Not to mention neither one of us knew where the hell we were going!! We, well, I, must have made the valet in front of Miyagi's dizzy with the amount of illegal u-turns I made trying to get to the parking area. Timmi and I were rolling! It was like high school all over again! hee-hee.

We finally got to Miyagi's around 15 minutes to 7 and a few folks were already there for the promotional shoot. Music was playing and the scene was set! Lisa was wonderful. I'd almost forgotten the insanity behind the scenes, but it was exhilirating to say the least! The lights were set up and off to the red room everyone went!

The first set up was a group of folks with the wining and dining scene. Sexy-cool shots, if you ask me!! Woot! Next came all the women for a "girls night out". That was crazy! About 7 or 8 of us piled on top of or around this great red velvet couch...(hmm...reminded me of something...sorry went on a tangent!) and it was just plain funny. We had to "pretend" conversation, but, truth be told, we all hit it off wonderfully, so we really were conversing. I wish I would have had the foresite to ask for peoples numbers

The third set of shots were hilarious. It was the co-mingling of guys and girls. EVERYBODY piled onto the couch! It was a crush of people. Oh, and by the way, can I just say that those lights were blinding AND FREAKING HOT!! LOL omg...it made for so much silliness. We were all plastered to each other! Oh, the madness!
Then came the last set. Um, I did mention things being hot, right?! Yikes! This set was for the couples. (Timmi had so much fun teasing me about this one!!) I got to put my acting skills to use. The first two couples were absolutely adorable. I believe it was Shawn and Monique that got their photos taken first...so cute. They hit it off. Mm-hmm Then there was our actual couple(one of the open mic artists and her hubby). Talk about some steamy shots! THEY were a tough act to follow. omg...so Darnel, the gentleman I was paired up with for the shoot, was like, let's practice "looking into each other's eyes". I just started busting up. I couldn't look him in the eyes!! lmao. Freakin' Timmi noticed this fact and had the nerve to point out that I was BLUSHING!! ME!! I NEVER BLUSH! I said the lights were HOT!! So, our turn came next and Juren, the little minx, had me sit ON HIS LAP!! It was really hard to keep a straight face. We were supposed to make our shots look like "soap opera" scenes....um, okay! Let's just say, there should be some good shots from that one!All in all, it was hilarious and a good experience. He's a really nice guy.

More later...the evening to be continued.

continuation 11/29/06.....sorry I took so long...full day of overtime this week

Woops! I missed the bar scene...yeah we took photos there too. Those were fun. There was one set where a guy was trying to give his phone to another guys girl...mm-hmm... lol too funny! And the others were just a bunch of candid's a group of friends and the general "bar" scene.

Talk about a flurry of activity! 7:30 came and it was time for the show. Everyone grabbed their respective tables. There was no bad seat in the house. We were all STARVING and I must say the food was marvelous!! Drinks weren't bad either

Juren and Poetri are the best hosts! This show was just LIVE!! The DJ was jumpin', Poetri is a grand MC! He is amazing a so talented. I was moved in so many ways. The open mic was just so.....damn....for a writer, I'm having difficulty finding the words. I suppose I can only speak for myself. I was touched by the talent joined together in that room. I laughed, was moved to silence from the depths of my soul, tears threatened like rain at one point and then I laughed some more. In a word...inspired. Yes, I was inspired. Since that evening so many, many things have been spriraling around my head-some lyrical, others melancholy, but they are there screaming to be heard. Perhaps, I shall be brave enough to venture on that stage as a poet on the open mic... That is a challenge and a promise to myself...

Oh! I forgot to mention the games. The entire crowd gets in on the act. Hmm...they did rock, paper,scissors; the question game, a scavenger hunt and, omg...I can't remember...with cash giveaways. THAT in itself was hilarious!! Timmi joined in on the fun. hee-hee...the stage called to her!

At the end of the eve, with happy bellies and hearts contented with the art of words and laughter, it was time to head home. Juren and Poetri, along with a few stragglers were on the stage doing a few last promotional shots. Somehow, Timmi and I ended up on the stage AGAIN for more shots in front of the logo. lol...With those done, we walked off the stage, gave Poetri and Juren hugs and a final thank you along with a promise to come back again. Such kinds souls. We will definitely be going again.

2 comments:

Sir James Eric Watkins said...

Hello hello hello hello hello....

There's an echo there's in here an echo in here in here....

Seems this place place this seems secondary to you now secondary to now now....

Hello hello hello hello hello....

westcoastmama said...

I know...I've been...absent, for lack of a better word.

My brain and my heart are in too many places at once. I'm a bit tired and tried, you might say. *sigh* But, I am ever still the hopeless romantic that I am...